Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Fajita Burgers

My husband and I are burger fans. My kids, not so much. I don't know what it is, too much meat? I know sometimes they can be a little hard to eat, have you ever tried to eat a burger at Red Robin without squishing it down just to fit?? So needless to say, whenever I have a hankering for burgers, it's usually cereal and milk for the kiddos. Seriously, whose kids are these?
I've made Rachael Ray's taco burgers before, similar idea. Taco-seasoned burger with taco fillings inside a tortilla. But my husband, spoiled as he is, is much more of a fajita fan. So why can't we have a fajita burger?! The peppers and onions really make this burger. The burger is huge and messy and so delicious. Best part? My kids ate. it. up. And asked for more. My little daughter made a huge mess, but she didn't care.

Look at that color! Our family loves bell peppers!

An easy way to ensure equal-sized burgers is to level the mixture in the bowl and, using a spoon or your hands, separate into four portions.

Grill the burgers until browned on the outside and cooked through on the inside. I love my grill pan. Got it for $15 at Costco a few years ago. I just wish it fit in my dishwasher. I'm not a huge fan of hand-washing my dishes :)

This might seem backwards, but place your toppings on the burger first. I love refried black beans, cheese, sour cream, peppers, and onions. If you're everyone else, you can probably add guacamole too.

Add the burger on top. You'll flip it over to eat it and everything will be ok.

Wrap it all up like a birthday gift and....

....flip over. See! Everything's okay now.
I love it. The more toppings the messier it is and it's so good!

 
Fajita Burgers
by Girls in Aprons
Makes 4 burgers

1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly slices

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
Pinch red pepper flakes or 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt

Extra large tortillas
Toppings such as refried black beans, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, olives

 
Combine butter and olive oil in a saute pan over medium-low until butter is melted. Add bell peppers and onion and cook 15-17 minutes, stirring occasionally, until peppers are soften and onions are starting to carmelize.

Mix together the ground beef, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes (or cayenne), garlic powder, oregano, paprika, and salt. Divide mixture into four large patties.

Preheat large grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush pan with olive oil and place patties on the pan. Cook patties until cooked through, about 7 minutes per side.

Place a tortilla on a plate and add toppings of choice, including onions and peppers. Lastly, add the burger patty and wrap in the tortilla. Flip over and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment