Monday, July 2, 2012

Sweet Coconut Chicken

I have this sweet and sour chicken recipe that is to die for. Seriously. I don't know why I haven't posted it yet. And I'm not posting it today either, but this one is eerily similar. It has the same basic concept, just a different sauce. And I loooove this kind of cuisine. Beef with broccoli, sweet and sour chicken, eggrolls, Mongolian Beef..... *sigh* Seriously, the way to my heart is through P.F. Changs. I am not kidding. But sometimes I want the take-out version without the take-out price, so I love to make these dishes at home.

So, my family loves coconut flavored things, and this Sweet Coconut Chicken fit the bill for us. It was slightly sweet with a hint of coconut. I liked that the coconut flavor did not over power the dish. If you like the extra coconut flavor, go ahead and add some coconut flakes to either your rice or the sauce. I'm sure either way it will be delicious.

Oh, and you have to serve this with jasmine rice. There is something about jasmine rice that just goes really well with the coconut chicken. Okay, you don't have to, I just very highly recommend it.

Sweet Coconut Chicken
recipe from Kids in the Sink 

For the chicken:2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil (I used vegetable oil)

For the sauce:
1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk (use the full fat version, the "lite" version doesn't have enough flavor)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cider vinegar

Directions:

For the chicken: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and preheat oven to 325˚. While oil is heating, season chicken with salt and pepper.

Dip chicken in egg, then cornstarch, and fry in the oil until lightly golden brown, but not cooked through. I had to fry in a couple of batches so as not to overcrowd the pan.

Remove chicken from pan and place on paper towel-lined plate briefly, then place in a single layer in a baking dish.

For the sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, sugar, and vinegar. Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for about an hour, stirring the chicken every 15 minutes. Once cooked through, let stand for at least 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. Serve immediately over rice (*ahem* jasmine rice, although any rice will do because the chicken in this dish rocks!)

P.S. Some readers on Kids in the Sink asked if one hour was too long to cook and worried it would dry out the chicken. Let me tell you.... it will not. Trust me. Let it cook for an hour and gently stir it every 15 minutes and it will be perfect!


1 comment: