Saturday, July 7, 2012

Caramel Apple Salad

I don't know why it is, but whenever I'm invited to a potluck or asked to contribute to a group meal of some sort, I take it as a challenge. Not that I'm judging those of you who grab a dozen cookies from Walmart instead of baking your own, but I feel it's my culinary duty to find something delicious and new to bring. And maybe I thrive on the compliments that I get...and get a little offended if there are still leftovers.
I get it. I'm a little snobby about my food.

Anyway, my work had a summer potluck last week and I signed up for fruit. I'd originally considered making patriotic fruit kabobs with strawberries, blueberries, and marshmallows. But of course, last week nothing was on sale. And as much as I like to show off my love of food, I also have a grocery budget. So I asked my mom, who suggested her apple salad with Snickers. It's so easy and apples are always on sale.

I was inspired at the grocery store to use Rolos instead of Snickers. Partly because I'm pretty sure someone at my work has a peanut allergy, and partly because I'm in love with Rolos. If you cut the Rolos in half you release some of that caramel heaven and it blends with the whipped cream and the tart apples to make a salad that tastes just like caramel apples.


Sorry about the picture quality, it was taken with my phone at work :)
Caramel Apple Salad
by Girls in Aprons

4 large Granny Smith apples
1 1/2 cup whipped cream
1 cup Rolos, halved

Cut apples into small, bite-sized pieces. Place apples and whipped cream into a bowl and mix together. Add Rolos, tossing everything together. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment