Sunday, July 15, 2012

Citrus Chicken Salad with Sugared Walnuts, Feta, and Blackberries

As many of you know I'm a bit of a Bountiful Baskets junkie. I think the reason I like it the most is because it forces me to eat fruits and veggies I wouldn't normally buy (my poor family was on a banana/carrot diet forever!) and it forces me to be creative with the way I use them. Kale turns into Kale Chips, Butternut Squash is roasted or turned into soup, plums get put on the grill and topped with ice cream (yum!). Then I got blackberries in my basket. I was NOT just going to eat the blackberries. I was going to USE them in a recipe dang it! Thankfully I "like" Bountiful Baskets on Facebook, and they posted this salad from the Martha Stewart website. And it used blackberries! The whole thing sounded perfect for a summer night, and really anything with feta and sugared walnuts sounded pretty much right up my alley. I added a citrus marinated chicken to the recipe to make it more filling. And seriously? The dressing is to die for. Why BUY dressing when you can MAKE one that tastes this good? Really, it will change your life.

Also, don't be afraid of the amount of ingredients! Most of them are dry spices you probably already have on hand! I did have to go out and get the walnuts and feta, but everything else is pretty basic! And the salad is something I would buy in a restaurant! Feel free to switch up the blackberries too - strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries would all be delicious in this salad!


Citrus Chicken Salad with Sugared Walnuts, Feta and Blackberries
by Girls in Aprons, adapted from Martha Stewart

For the chicken:
1/4 cup lime or lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried basil or thyme
2 (4 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions
In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredient; mix well. Pour half of the marinade into a resealable plastic bag. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade; add chicken to the bag. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Drain and discard marinade. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 6 in. from heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until juices run clear; basting occasionally with reserved marinade.

For the salad:

2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice (I just squeezed an orange)
1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
10 ounces mixed salad greens, such as baby spinach and red-leaf and Boston lettuces
1 small container blackberries
9 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Sugared Walnuts (I found them at Trader Joe's - they are oh so good...)
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Directions:
Whisk together vinegar, orange juice, and salt. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified.

Put salad greens, blackberries, feta, and walnuts into a bowl. Drizzle with vinaigrette, and toss gently. Season with salt and pepper. Place sliced chicken on top of each salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment