Tuesday, July 17, 2012

BLT Supreme

It's really hard to feed my family on our current food budget. We're not exactly eating Top Ramen every night, but neither are we eating steaks, either. And the suggestion that we eat fish at least once a week? Yeah, right. We're lucky to get fish once a month, and no, I'm not counting fish sticks.

A lot of our meals are thrown together by what I have on had. Pasta is mixed with different cheeses and leftover meat for a meal. Salads are a mix of veggies and beans I happen to come by. We have eggs and toast whenever my husband isn't going to be home, and Little Caesars has found its way into our kitchen occasionally :)

So when I was creating the menu for this week, I asked my husband for ideas. Sometimes I just can't think past the first few days of the week. I listed a few things on sale at the grocery store (or stores, I stalk three different grocery store ads) and when he heard bacon, he immediately answered with "BLTs". Why didn't I think of that? Oh, because I don't like tomatoes. Don't judge. I'll eat them in a hot dish, but not fresh. Sorry.

As I was preparing dinner last night, my eyes wandered to the avocadoes that were supposed to be used in our burritoes but were too ripe. I was sure that they were close to being over ripe at this point. I decided to make an avocado spread to put on top of the BLTs. And add cheese. Our family loves cheese, and I just happened to have sliced swiss cheese. Perfect with bacon and tomato. And now avocado!



Mix avocado, Greek yogurt, lime juice, and salt together in a food processor. You can totally use a bowl and fork and get a chunkier version. If you use a food processor, reserve the last avocado and mash it in afterwards to get some texture to the sauce. By the way, I'm digging the color!

All of the pieces to the puzzle. Ciabatta bread (the best for sandwiches in my opinion), tomatoes, mayo, Swiss cheese, lettuce, avocado spread, and bacon. The grapes are for a side dish, not necessarily for the sandwich :)




You can take some of the breading out so that your sandwich isn't so thick and jaw-breaking. I did this for my kids so that they could actually attempt to eat it, although to be honest they sort of just took the whole sandwich apart and ate it piece by piece. They just don't understand a masterpiece when they see one!!



BLT Supreme
by Girls in Aprons

1 loaf ciabatta bread, slices in half and then into fourths (to make four sandwiches)
1 lb bacon
2 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
4-6 slices Swiss cheese
1 head lettuce, leaves torn
Mayonnaise

For avocado spread:
3 ripe avocados
3 oz Greek yogurt (half of a 6oz container)
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tsp salt

Cook bacon in large pan over medium high heat until crispy. Let drain on a paper towel.

Meanwhile, cut the avocados in half, remove the pit, and, using a spoon, remove the avocado flesh from the peel. Place two of the avocados in a food processor fit with a metal blade. Add yogurt, lime juice, and salt and pulse until smooth and creamy. Pour into a bowl and, using a fork, mash in the remaining avocado until desired consistancy.

To assemble, spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the top half of the sandwich and then generously add the avocado spread. On the bottom half, layer in the following order: lettuce, cheese, tomato, and bacon. Place top half on the sandwich and enjoy.

Optional: Using a grill pan or a grill on low heat, grill the tomato slices and the ciabatta slices until grill marks appear. Assemble sandwich as normal.

You can also toast the sandwich by placing the cheese, tomato, and bacon on the bread and toasting under a broiler before adding the lettuce, mayonnaise, and avocado spread.


No comments:

Post a Comment