Monday, October 17, 2011

Double Chocolate Banana Bread (and a bonus "cheater" banana bread recipe!)

I think we all need that one breakfast food that looks like it is soooo bad for you, but really, it's totally kosher to eat for breakfast. You know, that food that makes you feel sort of like a rebel or diet crasher or something that makes you feel like you are living on the edge (who knew breakfast could do that for you!). I have my weakness when it comes to banana bread, and adding double chocolate? Are you kidding me? I think me and this bread are BFF's.

So go ahead. Eat this for breakfast (your kids will think you are serving them cake, and go ahead and let them think that - it makes you look cool!) or for a snack (or really, eat it whenever you want). You won't be disappointed! I promise!

**Also, if you scroll to the bottom of the post, I have a "cheater" banana bread recipe. It's a recipe you can use when you don't have the time or energy to make a traditional banana bread but have some bananas to use up. It's so easy that my friend Heidi, who shared this recipe with me, told me the recipe and I remembered the entire recipe! If you know me, I don't remember anything lately!That's how easy it is! Enjoy!
The line-up
Blend the eggs, sugar, and oil until well blended. Add vanilla (or pour it in like me - a little more vanilla never killed anyone!).
I don't smash my bananas for this recipe. Partly because I'm lazy and all about the quick way sometimes, but also because it gives you little chunks of banana in your bread. Sooo good!
Add your dry ingredients.
And the stars of the show - the chocolate chips.
If I wasn't so paranoid about raw eggs, I'd probably eat the batter.
It smells so good - but do not (DO NOT!) cut into it while it's hot! Organize your closet by colors, paint your fingernails, or learn Mandarin while you wait, but if you cut into it while it's hot it will fall apart won't come out of the bread pan easily. Wait until it's cooled - it's worth the wait!
And serve with milk! It's a perfect combo of banana and chocolate and yumminess!

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
from sisterscafe.blogspot.com

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas (about 3)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa (I usually use the Hershey's Dark Cocoa if I can find it!)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

1. Heat oven to 250. Spray bottom of 8x4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

2. Beat sugar, eggs, and oil in large bowl at medium speed until combined. Beat in banana and vanilla at low speed. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; beat into banana mixture at low speed just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

3 Spoon batter into pan. Bake 2 hours or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 30 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.

**By baking it at a lower temperature and for a longer time it keeps the edges from getting crisp and overcooked. Trust me!

BONUS RECIPE!!!

"Cheater" Banana Bread
Seriously, this is all you need!
Mash bananas (or don't, and let your mixer do the work - this only works well if your bananas are really ripe)
Combine cake mix, eggs, milk, and bananas. Mmmm...looks tasty right? Well, maybe not yet, but it will!
Mix mix mix. Really, I'm only into the recipe like three minutes!
Add chocolate chips. You can omit these, but why would you?
So yummy!! My kids ate it up! I think I might try this next time with chocolate cake mix.

"Cheater" Banana Bread

2-3 bananas, mashed
1 yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup (or more!) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Spray bread pan with cooking spray on bottom.

Combine bananas, cake mix, eggs, and milk in a medium bowl. Mix on medium speed until combined. Add chocolate chips. Pour in prepared bread pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Then cover with foil and bake 15 minutes more or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.

Cool 30 minutes, invert and cool on wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. Ok that chocolate banana bread is sooo yummy! My mom made it and gave us some. After devouring it, my husband strongly suggested we NEEDED the recipe. So mom directed me here. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete