Friday, October 14, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup

While most of the country is gearing up for fall weather, bringing out the sweaters and jackets and sipping on hot chocolate, it is still in the high 70s here in New Mexico and my sweaters are still safely tucked away in my closet.
However, last week we had some crazy weather that included temperatures in the 60s. Those around here that are used to the heat were shivering in their peacoats and sending their children out to play in their mittens. Seriously? What happens when we actually get snow?
Well, I didn't go to that extreme, although I loved the excuse to wear one of my cardigans...and to cook up a new soup recipe. I've tried a few different chicken noodle soup recipes in the past, but the end result was never up in there in the wow factor. In fact, I about gave up and then I decided to take the best from each recipe. I think I nailed it. At least I hope I did.
Start by sauteing the "Holy Trinity" of vegetables - carrots, onion, and celery. The French use this Trinity as a base in many soups and savory dishes. After the vegetables have softened, add just about everything else and simmer.
The finished product is absolutely amazing. The addition of fresh parsley, dill, and lemon zest takes this up a notch and really brighten the flavor of what might have been an ordinary soup.
Just as a tip, the recipe calls for cooked and shredded chicken. You can totally use rotissiere chicken here, or leftover chicken. I simmer my chicken for an hour or so in stock with 2 smashed garlic cloves and half of a lemon for some extra flavor.
Chicken Noodle Soup
adapted by Kelli, ideas taken from Allrecipes.com & Rachael Ray
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced into half-moons
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups (32-oz) good chicken stock
1 lb chicken, cooked and shredded
1/2 lb wide egg noodles
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
Grated peel of 1 lemon
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots, sauteing until almost soft, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, sugar, salt, pepper, and marjoram and cook 1 minute more.
Add chicken stock, 2 cups water, and shredded chicken to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer. Add egg noodles and cook according to package directions, about 5 minutes. Add green onions, parsley, dill, and grated lemon peel. Stir and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment