Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Potato Rosemary Frittata

Raise your hand if you have leftovers in your fridge....
Raise your other hand if you have leftovers in your fridge that you have no idea what to do with...
Well get ready to think I'm pretty cool (in case you were on the fence about that one) because according to *Giada!* leftovers + eggs = frittata. Sweet, right? She said that as a little girl her mother would put leftover pasta (with any sauce) in muffin tins with beaten eggs and make little pasta frittatas for afterschool snacks. Much better then the greasy chips my children munch on! I really need to try this one, but in my family there is rarely pasta leftovers.
I'm assuming there are limits to this, but really you are only limited by your imagination. I'm thinking some leftover veggies and herbs would always make a great frittata, bacon would do well...I make a spinach, bacon, and swiss quiche that would be great as a frittata.
While I've made frittatas before, this time in my fridge I had some rosemary left over from a chicken dish. I found a recipe from Rachael Ray that would use up the rest of my rosemary and help me make a dent in the 10-lb bag of golden potatoes from Costco.
One of the great things about frittatas and quiches is that leftovers are great for breakfast the next morning. My husband and I fight over it!
Frittatas and quiches are similar, they are both egg shaped dishes, but in my limited experience with both, the main differences are that quiches have a pie crust bottom and are cooked entirely in the oven. With frittatas there is no crust and the dish is started on the stove and finished in the oven. So hopefully you have an oven-proof pan!
Start by sauteeing your onions, garlic, and potatoes in your pan. The smell is amazing. I wonder if they've ever tried to bottle eau de sauteed onions and garlic?
Add the salt, pepper, and rosemary, then throw in the beaten eggs, milk, and cheese. Use your spoon to lift up the potatoes and onions and make sure the eggs are settled.
Place the pan in the oven until the top of the frittata is golden and the eggs are set, about 10-12 minutes. When you remove from the oven, try not to forget that the pan handle is extremely hot (I may or may not have grabbed it out of habit before). Add some shaved fresh Parmesan (or any Parmesan or cheese you have) to the top, let melt in the oven for a minute, and serve.
Rosemary Potato Frittata
courtesy Rachael Ra
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 lb baby potatoes
1 small onion
3 to 4 springs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
12 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup half-and-half, milk, or cream
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
Heat oven to 450 degrees.
Heat the olive oil in medium heat-proof skillet set over medium-low heat with the crushed garlic clove. Let the garlic infuse the oil while you thinly slice the onion and potatoes, then remove the garlic. Add the onion and potato and season with rosemary, salt, and pepper to taste (I added my spices just before the egg-milk mixture). Raise the heat a little and cook for 6-7 minutes, then turn the potato-onion mixture over and cook another 5 minutes. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, and cheese together. Add the mixture to the skillet and move them around and under the potatoes to settle them. Transfer to the oven and bake until golden on top, 10 to 12 minutes. Scatter additional cheese on top, turn the oven off, and let sit for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. Remove from oven and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment