Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Sweet and Spicy BBQ Chicken

I'm kind of addicted to magazines. Luckily not so much the tabloid celebrity gossip, but I do love parenting, cooking, and household magazines. I get several subscriptions to my house each month and tear out magazine pages that interest me. The plan was (is) to eventually organize all these torn out pages into binders of amazing ideas, tricks, techniques...but right now it kind of all looks like this:


Anyway...several years ago I came across this recipe that combined barbeque sauce, ketchup, and honey to make a sauce that you then cooked with chicken. It was simple and delicious, but over the years I forgot the exact measurements and added whatever I had on hand. I'm usually a bit Type A about measurements, but this is one of those recipes that you can follow the directions or add your own twist to it.

So easy to put together...mix the sauce together and pour over chicken. I love to make cheesy mashed potatoes and use the potatoes as a bed for the chicken.


We actually like to serve our chicken with a small bowl filled with the sauce that is remaining in the pan. I literally smother each bite in the tangy, sweet sauce.





Sweet and Spicy BBQ Chicken
by Girls in Apron

4 chicken breasts (2-3 lbs total)
3/4 cup regular barbeque sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Mix barbeque sauce, ketchup, honey, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl. Taste and adjust cayenne pepper to desired heat.

Pour 1/2 cup sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Place chicken breasts on top and top with the remaining sauce. Cover with foil and place in oven. Bake for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through.

To serve: Place chicken breast on plate. Top with a few spoonfuls (or more!) of pan sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment