Friday, October 12, 2012

Classic Cheesecake with Sour Cream Topping

There are a few things in life that I can't live without. My family, for one. Great books to read, my faith to keep me on the strait and narrow, comfy pajamas and big ol' fuzzy blankets to snuggle in while I watch my shows at night. You know, the usual. And then there is cheesecake.

I've known from a very young age that cheesecake was going to be a good friend of mine. Yeah, I know, it's not the healthiest dessert out there, but even though I can't say "no" to cheesecake, I also know how to (kind of) eat it in moderation. And the fact that I don't typically like to make cheesecake means it's not always in my house. But Cheesecake Factory is fairly close by, and don't get my started on the amazing recipes I've seen on Pinterest lately. I'm going to have to just make a few (dozen) of those one of these days.

But one of my fave kinds of cheesecake is just plain ol' regular cheesecake. My husband had his birthday a couple months ago and asked me to make cheesecake for his little family get-together. I love this recipe because it is super creamy and light tasting. I'm not a super-fan of the really heavy, dense cheesecakes. I don't know if it's because they are really rich or if it's the heaviness of it. This cheesecake is simple and you can top it with pretty much anything you want!

This recipe is actually really easy to follow. As long as you read the recipe, follow the steps, and bake as directed you'll be fine. It's also really normal for a cheesecake, when it comes out of the oven, to be a little jiggly on top. Not super crazy jiggly, but the top of it near the center may look a little wobbly if you lightly shake it, and that's fine. Once it cools you'll be fine. It will set, trust me! Cheesecake is definitely picky sometimes, and I've made a couple that are undercooked when I cut into them. Just make sure that you let the cheesecake set up in the refrigerator overnight so it sets properly.

And don't let the "sour cream" scare you. It makes the cheesecake amazing!



Classic Cheesecake with Sour Cream Topping
by Girls in Aprons

Crust:
1 pkg graham crackers, crushed
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup butter, melted

Mix and press in bottom of 9 inch spring form pan (make sure it is a nice one, not a flimsy one, or the butter in the crust will melt out). Bake at 350 for 6 minutes.

4 egg whites, beaten until stiff
3 pkgs (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Cream the sugar, cream cheese and vanilla together. Carefully fold stiff egg whites into cream cheese mixture. Place on top of baked crust and return to oven for 30 minutes.

Topping:
2 cups sour cream
3 Tbsp sugar
½ tsp vanilla

Mix topping ingredients together and carefully spread on baked cheese cake (spread it slowly on top so you don't ruin your layers). Return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes at 400. Cool completely before refrigeration.

Best if made the day before. (Carefully ream around the edge of cheeses cake with a sharp knife as soon as it comes out of the oven. This will help to keep it from cracking in the center).

No comments:

Post a Comment