Monday, March 26, 2012

Just Like Winger's Sticky Fingers!

I'll admit it. I have four crazy kids. Well, that's not true. I have three crazy kids and one in training. He's only 9-months old, but by the way he studies his brothers and watches their every move, he is going to be just as crazy. Sometimes I forget that they are crazy and my husband and I take them out to dinner somewhere other than McDonalds. These other places have no play place and no tolerance for kids running up and down aisles, throwing food, or screaming bloody murder. It's times like this that my husband and I look at each other and say "Oh, yeah. Now I remember why we don't take them out to dinner!"

So, needless to say, we don't get out much. Babysitters are expensive, and adding the money that it costs to pay for dinner and maybe a movie or something, it could climb up towards $100 for one night? Not worth it for me! I'd rather stay at home, put the kids to bed early, and make something restaurant worthy for my husband and I. You know, like a mini-celebration for surviving the day with all four kids still breathing and the house intact (mostly).

We usually have a monthly "nacho night" where we make a huge cookie sheet of nachos with all the fixings, but while nursing my youngest I couldn't have dairy. Nachos with cheese is about the saddest thing in the world. Seriously. So we got creative and stumbled upon homemade Winger's sauce. I love Winger's! I know you can buy their sauce, but you get a small amount for like $8. That is not a good deal. But homemade sauce is! And you will be surprised how easy it is to make. It even passed the husband and brother-in-law test (they are Winger's people) and they thought it tasted the same.

And just FYI I did not make up this recipe, but if you Google "Winger's sauce" or "Homemade Winger's Amazing Sauce" the recipe is all over the web. And no one is giving credit to anyone, and who knows who actually came up with this knock off? So I will credit "the web" as my source.
Combine the hot sauce, brown sugar, and water in a small saucepan. Stir until combined, heating until simmering. Dip your cooked chicken strips in the sauce with tongs. Place the dipped chicken on your serving platter.
So yummy! We served ours with fries and a salad.

Just Like Winger's Sticky Fingers
submitted by Girls in Aprons

6 T Frank's Original Hot Sauce (you can use Frank's Buffalo Sauce, but it HAS to be Frank's!)
3/4 packed brown sugar
2 T water
25 oz. package breaded chicken strips (I like Tyson's)

In a small saucepan mix together hot sauce, brown sugar, and water. Heat until simmering and remove from heat.

While sauce is cooking, heat chicken according to package directions.

When chicken is done, dip each piece in Winger's sauce, coating all the way. You can dip it twice for extra sauce. Place on serving tray. Makes 4 servings.

**I like to double the sauce so there is enough for dipping at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment