Thursday, December 15, 2011

Winter Chili

For anyone who thought that New Mexico was warm year-round {I'll admit, I was one of those}...well, it's currently 29 degrees here, there are still piles of snow on the ground from last week's snowstorm, and even inside our little apartment we are bundled up and wishing we lived in the Bahamas. It is COLD here! And whenever I'm cold, all I want is soup. And hot cocoa. And soup. And chili, especially if it's amazingly, wonderfully, unimaginatively good, like this one.

I usually make my own chili with ground beef some canned tomatoes and beans, and some vegetables. I rarely write down a recipe and just taste as I go - one of the perks of cooking dinner. You will thank me, then,  because this time I made a killer chili and actually remembered how I made it.

My secret ingredient(s)? Cannellini beans and butternut squash. Both are so buttery and smooth and give the chili a bit of a creamy texture. Use frozen squash, it cooks up in no time.

Bonus - it's really easy. A one-pot dish that is ready in less than half hour.


After browning the hamburger with the onion, throw in all the remaining ingredients and simmer. See? Easy!

I served our chili with fried polenta. You could use cornbread or biscuits, or nothing at all. Polenta is Italy's version of mashed potatoes, but you can fry them up, too. The recipe can be found here.



Winter Chili

submitted by Kelli

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup onion, chopped (1 small onion)
1 (15-19 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups water
1 (10-12 oz) package frozen butternut squash, thawed
1 cup chunky salsa
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, brown the hamburger and onion until hamburger is cooked through and onion is soft and translucent. Drain, discarding drippings. Add remaining ingredients. Bright to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and let simmer 10 minutes, stirring often.

Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, or other desired chili toppings. Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. sounds amazing! I'm cutting out as much dairy and wheat.... so this recipe works perfect! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete