Saturday, December 17, 2011

Cinnamon Almonds

As I mentioned earlier, one of my favorite things to do at Christmas is sit on a bench at the mall and just people-watch. It may sound boring, but I love seeing all the different people with all their packages and just daydream a litle. Do you want to know what makes people-watching even better? Some Starbucks Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate (duh) and a package of fresh roasted cinnamon almonds. Just as soon as I enter the mall, I smell the cinnamon almonds and I have to have some. They just smell like Christmas to me.

I was perusing some of my fave food blogs last Christmas and found a recipe from The Sisters Cafe. They got this recipe from someone (who probably got in from someone, etc) and I made it right away. It was so super easy and the smell in my house was just like the mall! It smells heavenly while baking. These make the perfect addition to any Christmas treat plate, or make up a batch for New Years Eve to munch on while playing games (but I warn you, you won't be able to stop!) I had to promise to make a batch (or two!) for my family this New Years' because my kids wouldn't stop eating them :)

Aren't these so cute?
First add your cinnamon, sugar and salt. Mix well and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl whisk your egg white and vanilla until frothy (but not stiff, that's another dessert!). Just get your whisk out and we're going to be old-fashioned here and whisk by hand.
After you've coated your almonds in the egg, add your cinnamon mixture. And stir, stir, stir! Make sure all the almonds are coated in the yumminess!
Bake them low and slow. Seriously, so easy and delicious!
Cinnamon Almonds
submitted by Carissa (from The Sisters Cafe)
 
1 cup white sugar
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 egg white
1 tsp. vanilla
4 cups almonds
 
Preheat oven to 250. Cover a 13×17” baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease well. In small bowl combine sugar, salt and cinnamon. Set aside. In a large bowl slightly beat the egg white. Add vanilla and beat until very frothy, but not stiff. Add the almonds and stir until well coated. Add the cinnamon sugar mixture and toss until evenly coated. Spread evenly on the prepared pan. Bake for one hour, stirring half way through. Allow to cool, then store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment