Sunday, May 26, 2013

Cookies and Creme Popcorn

My sister-in-law Cindy got married a few weeks ago. You should know that my husband is one of her SEVEN older brothers. SEVEN!! She's had built in bodyguards from day one! Luckily the guy she married is a rock star and brother-approved. I guess that's mostly lucky for him. I would not want to be on the bad side of seven older brothers!

The reception, however, was the work of SEVEN sister-in-laws and our amazing and fearless leader - my mother-in-law. Being one of the two sister-in-laws who lives out of state, I was mostly out of the loop about what was going on for the reception. I had my jobs: hair and nails for the bride. But my LOVE was helping in the kitchen!! The food theme was popcorn and lemonade. Very country and so adorable. The tablescape turned out amazing (see below) and the popcorn was a hit! There was caramel, chili cheese, peanut butter, and (the star of the show) cookies and crème!

My sister-in-law Kristen was the popcorn chef and I watched her make her batch of Cookies and Crème Popcorn and saw how easy it was! I had to figure out the measurements, and I found what I like. If you want more chocolate add more! More cookies? Do it! I'm thinking I'll try Peanut Butter Oreos next time!!

The recipe is SO easy. And you don't have to get married or attend a reception to enjoy it! We've made it in our house for movie night and also to bag up for gifts. I made it for staff appreciation week and I've had so many requests for the recipe. So here it goes:
Don't you love the classic colors and the gorgeous food? And those flowers?? The whole thing was so cute! 
First you pop two bags of kettle corn (regular or low calorie - whatever). Don't burn the popcorn!! You'll want to dump the bags into a big bowl, shake the popcorn to get all the kernels to the bottom, and then transfer the popcorn to another big bowl, leaving the kernels behind. Nothing ruins a good bowl of popcorn like breaking your teeth on a kernel! Then you want to use a food processor (I used my Magic Bullet) to finely grind up 20 Oreo cookies.
Dump the Oreo crumbs into the popcorn and blend.
Melt 12 oz of vanilla candy melts (I used Wilton brand from Michael's) for a minute on high in the microwave. Stir. Heat again for 30 seconds and stir until smooth. Pour onto popcorn and mix mix mix!
Spread out the popcorn onto wax paper-lined cookie sheets until cooled completely. Break apart and devour. I also like to coarsely chop a handful of extra Oreos to mix into the popcorn bowl.
Yum!! So addicting!
 
Cookies and Crème Popcorn
by Girls in Aprons
 
2 bags microwave kettle corn
20 Oreo cookies, finely blended
12 oz. vanilla flavored candy melts (like Wilton)
 
Microwave popcorn according to package directions. Pour bags into a big bowl and shake it several times to remove the kernels to the bottom of the bowl. Transfer the popcorn to another big bowl and discard the kernels.
 
In a food processor (a blender doesn't work too well) grind up the 20 Oreos into fine crumbs. Mix crumbs with popcorn.
 
In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the candy melts on high or one minute. Stir. Heat for another 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. Pour over the popcorn, mixing with a spoon until well combined. Spread out onto two wax paper-lined cookie sheets until completely cooled. If you find you have a lot of Oreo crumbs at the bottom of your popcorn bowl, I just sprinkle it over the cooling popcorn. I don't believe in wasted Oreos!! Break apart and serve.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment