Monday, April 1, 2013

Shepherd's Pie

Sometimes I think Shepherd's Pie gets a bad rap. My husband used to call it a "smorgasbord of whatever is in your fridge topped with potatoes." Sad thing? He was right! I used to make this bland recipe I'd found and then I made it over and over and over until my husband put the kabosch on it.

So what's a girl to do who loves herself some Shepherd's Pie? Granted, I didn't love the recipe I had been using, but it was super easy. Then I remembered my first time having it. It was at The Cheesecake Factory and it was super yummy with delicious mashed potatoes on top and lots of different veggies mixed with a beef broth. I decided to make up my own, then!

This recipe is out of this world yummy. The parmesan garlic mashed potatoes are a breeze to make in your Kitchenaid or Bosch (or whatever you use) and the meat/veggie mixture has a comforting stew-like quality. My husband and brother-in-law couldn't stop eating it. And it makes an entire 9x13 pan. Like up to the tippy-top of the pan. So it feeds a crowd, but the leftovers are even better- if that's possible.

Yummmmm! Look at all those vegetables!

Dice up your carrot, onion and zucchini and set aside.

Start off by browning your 1 lb of hamburger and add your carrots when the meat is about halfway done. When the meat is finished, add the onion and zucchini. They take less time to soften than the carrot does.  
I skipped a couple steps, but here is what you put in the oven. I told you it made a ton! (Side note, this is super easy to halve if you don't want to make this much! I was feeding four adults and seven kids and we ate the entire pan)

Dig in! You'll thank me later!

Peas, corn, carrots, onion and zucchini added to hamburger and a thick gravy topped with parmesan garlic potatoes? Uh... yes please!

Shepherd's Pie
by Girls in Aprons

1 lb hamburger
5-6 carrots, diced
1 onion, diced
2 zucchini, diced
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen petite peas

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cups (1 box) beef broth

5 russet potatoes
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
splash milk (to desired consistancy)
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2-3 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet, brown hamburger on medium-high heat. Add carrot when the hamburger is about halfway cooked. Once cooked through, add onion and zucchini. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Set aside.

In another large skillet, melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter over medium heat, then add flour. Stir constantly for 2 minutes. Slowly add beef broth. Increase heat to medium-high and stir constantly until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Add your meat and veggie mixture, peas and corn. Taste for seasonings and add as needed. Pour into a 9x13 pan.

For mashed potatoes: Peel and dice 5 large russet potatoes. Boil in salted water until a fork stuck in them comes out easily. Drain the potatoes and transfer to your Kitchenaid. With a paddle attachment, mash the potatoes. Add the butter, parmesan cheese and garlic and mix well. Add a splash of milk (I think I used about 1/4 cup) or until the desired consistancy is reached. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Slowly spread the mashed potatoes on top of the gravy mixture in the 9x13 pan. Top with additional parmesan cheese, if desired.

Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, or until the mixture is hot and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment