Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Orange cupcakes with raspberry cream cheese frosting

January was a special month for us. Obviously, it's the beginning of a new year, and we love that fresh start each year brings, and at least here in New Mexico it's finally starting to warm up just a bit!
 
However, the biggest reason we love January? It's our birthday! What better way to celebrate our birthday than sharing an amazing cupcake recipe with you! Moist cupcakes made with orange juice concentrate and orange zest and frosting made with cream cheese and raspberry jam. The combination is out of this world and they are so easy to make!
 
I'll be honest, I didn't make these for my birthday. My sister-in-law surprised me with a uber-rich chocolate torte from Whole Foods and that was my sugar intake for a few days, but once I was out of our sugar coma I figured I would make these.  
 
You will need to use your imagination on this picture. I initially used orange juice (thus the picture) and then made them again with orange concentrate, which is what our recipe calls for. Orange juice offers a light orange taste, but I prefer something more, um...orange-y.
 
 
Use a zester or small cheese grater to zest an orange.

 
Mix, mix, mix.

 
I use an ice cream scoop to measure out my cupcake batter so they are all the same size. And it's so easy to use!

 
Check out the zest, isn't it gorgeous!?

 
I use a large star tip and circle the frosting around the cupcake, allowing the sides to show...the orange cupcake stands out against the pink frosting.

 
Had to include this...my 4-year-old fruit-loving daughter tried to steal the raspberries as I was shooting!



 
Orange Cupcakes with Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
by Girls in Aprons
 
1 box white cake mix
4 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp orange zest

Mix all ingredients together for 30 seconds on low, or until slightly combined. Increase speed to medium for 2 minutes, or until thick and completely combined. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake according to boxed cake mix directions.
 
For frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 lb powdered sugar
2/3 cup raspberry jam
Raspberries, for garnish
 
Mix cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and raspberry jam together until well blended. Using a large star tip, frost cooled cupcakes. Garnish with a raspberry.


No comments:

Post a Comment