Thursday, December 20, 2012

Mexican Caramel Cashew Fudge

I get a lot of recipes emailed to me. I think I may be subscribed to every company that offers free recipes to be emailed to you. I have a ton saved! And, sometimes, it makes me sad that I will never get to all of those amazing recipes. What usually happens when I get a recipe that I think sounds amazing I will save it in my "Recipe" file on my email. And maybe I'll get to it one day.

However, when this email came, with the picture of caramel and fudge, topped with cashews, and I saw how easy it was to make, I immediately put the ingredients on my shopping list and made it the next day.

SO GLAD I DID!!

This fudge is so good. Really rich, and perfect for adding to your holiday treat plates or setting out for after Christmas dinner. The Mexican caramel is called cajeta, and is supposed to be the new "hot" ingredient. Cajeta is a caramel sauce made with goats milk and can be found in any well-stocked grocery store. I found mine at Walmart. It's super thick and creamy, and I'm thinking I've found my new favorite ice cream topping too! If you can't find cajeta, you can substitute with dulce de leche, but don't use regular ice cream caramel topping. It's too thin and won't set right.

And, I can't tell you enough how easy this is to make! But don't tell your friends that (wink wink!). When I brought a plate to one of my kid's teachers, she said "You went home and made that last night?" And I just nodded. Take credit people!! Let them think you are oh-so-amazing (because you are!).
 Cajeta can be found in the Mexican food aisle in well stocked grocery stores. I found mine at Walmart.
 Prepare your 9x9 pan with foil. Lightly spray it with cooking spray, making sure to get the edges as well. Bring the foil over a bit on the side so when the fudge is done, you can carry it out of the pan, making cutting it so much easier!
Take your two cups of semisweet chocolate chips and your can of sweetened condensed milk and put them in a microwave safe bowl. Stir together and microwave for a minute. Stir again, until almost smooth, and the microwave again about another 30 seconds. Stir until completely smooth, pour in 1 1/2 cups of cashews, and pour into prepared pan, smoothing it out even. Place it in the fridge for about an hour.
When the chocolate layer is ready to come out, put 1 cup white chocolate chips and 3/4 cup cajeta in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 1 minute. Stir and microwave for another 30 seconds or so. Pour over cooled chocolate layer. Pour 1 cup cashews over the top, pressing lightly to push them into the caramel. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt (not table salt!)
Cool at least three hours in fridge (preferably overnight). Doesn't that look amazing??

Mexican Caramel Cashew Fudge
by Girls in Aprons

2 cups good quality semisweet chocolate chips
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups whole salted cashews
1 cup good quality white chocolate chips
3/4 cup cajeta
1 cup whole salted cashews
1/2 tsp coarse sea salt (optional, but highly recommended!!)

Prepare a 9x9 pan layered with foil. Lightly spray the foil with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a microwave-safe bowl, add semisweet chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Microwave on high for one minute. Stir well and microwave an additional 30 seconds. Stir again. Add 1 1/2 cups cashews and stir. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing it out evenly, and place in fridge for one hour.

When the chocolate layer is ready, add white chocolate chips and the cajeta into another microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for one minute. Stir well and microwave an additional 30 seconds. Stir until smooth and pour over chocolate layer, smoothing it out. Evenly pour 1 cup cashews on the caramel layer, lightly pressing them in. Finish with a sprinkling of sea salt.

Refrigerate at least three hours, but preferable over night. Remove from pan and cut into 36 pieces. Store on counter at room temperature.

Recipe from Betty Crocker

No comments:

Post a Comment