Monday, November 5, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake

This is how much I love you all. I promised I'd post this recipe for you tonight, and even though I have a migraine and really want to watch The Walking Dead, I'm going to post the recipe instead. And then I'll watch The Walking Dead. Migraine or not, I have to see what all the drama was about last night's episode.

So anyway, I love Picky Palate. Jenny Flake is the mastermind behind picky-palate.com and she was one of the very first bloggers I started following (*cough*blogstalking*cough*). Her specialty, at least for me, is desserts. She is an evil genius when it comes to desserts. She has made so many different kinds of cookies, cakes, pies, cupcakes and every other sugary confection. And it's all delicious. She even has a new cookbook out thay you can purchase here.

Anyway, I wanted to make something pumpkin-y to celebrate fall and found this yummy gem on Pinterest. Yea yea, Pinterest. I seriously haven't been on Pinterest for a looong time. Mostly because I'm busy at work and too tired when I get home, but this was pinned a while ago and I happened to find it while scrolling through my desserts board.

I love that this is a sheet cake (those feed a ton), uses a cake mix (love pre-measured ingredients!), and is a mix of cinnamon rolls, pumpkin cake and yummy glaze. It's delicious and way easy to throw together. It has a few steps involved, but they all take just a few minutes (or seconds!).

The verdict? My three year old inhaled (not even joking here) three large pieces in a matter of two minutes (okay, maybe I let her get away with too much....) and my brother-in-law who despises pumpkin gave it two big thumbs up. It's not super pumpkin-y but you can still taste it, and the cinnamon layer is seriously amazing with the pumpkin and vanilla flavor going on.
I love adding instant pudding to my cake mixes. It makes them taste so much better!

Add your eggs. I always crack mine into a bowl first so I don't lose any shells in my batter. Because you know that once you lose a piece of shell in your batter, you'll never find it (until a guest bites into it).

Add your oil and milk.

Sour cream is next. It makes your cake taste moist and rich. I always add this too!

And one can of pumpkin. I actually bought the last can at Safeway for this. It's flying off the shelves!

Mix well until it's nice and fluffy then pour it into your greased sheet cake pan. Spread evenly. It's a gorgeous orange color too!

Mix your melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and drizzle...

.... like so. You don't necessarily need to use all of it, just drizzle it around until it looks pretty. Drag your knife back and forth (I did mine both ways) to swirl the cinnamon mixture. Try not to drag all the way through to the bottom of the cake, though. Just the top layers.

Love! It's so pretty, all orange and cinnamon-y!

While it's still warm, drizzle the cream and powdered sugar mixture on top so it can seep into the cake.

Seriously, so yummy. Sweet and light and super moist.

Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
3.4 ounce box Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
1/2 cup sour cream
15 ounce can pumpkin
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream (start w 1/4 cup and add a little more cream if needed)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a jelly roll pan with non stick cooking spray.

Place cake mix, eggs, oil, milk, pudding, sour cream and pumpkin into a stand or electric mixer, beating until well combined, about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly.

Place butter into a microwave safe bowl and melt, about 30-40 seconds. Add brown sugar and cinnamon to bowl, mixing until combined. Drizzle mixture evenly over cake then take a knife and run it through to swirl.

Bake cake for 30-35 minutes, until cooked through and remove. Place powdered sugar and cream into a large bowl and mix until creamy and smooth. Drizzle over warm cake then let cool for 20 minutes before cutting into squares. Refrigerate if not serving same day. 

Makes 16 to 20 squares

Recipe from Picky Palate- LOVE HER

No comments:

Post a Comment