Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Creamy Burrito Casserole

I like to try and do a "theme" night each week. Not because I'm trying to start any traditions or anything, it's mostly because on Sunday night, when I'm planning my meals for the week, I need some inspiration. We typically have "Taco Tuesdays" (although it's sometimes on a Wednesday... or Friday), and I usually have a "Meatless Monday", and so on. Anyway, Taco Tuesdays are my kids favorite. They absolutely love crunchy tacos, and the fact that Mexican style food is easily tailored to fit their own likes and dislikes is a plus.

This time, though, I wanted something different. We usually go for enchiladas or chimichangas (using leftover roast from Sunday... so good!), or the usual tacos, so I found this recipe. It looked killer good. Creamy Burrito Casserole was also super easy to throw together and tasted like the title intends it to taste. It was definitely creamy and my kids ate it up. It was like a super creamy enchilada, but without all the tortilla rolling.
Creamy layers. This was so easy to throw together and will definitely fill everyone up! The leftovers the next day were just as good!
Start by browning your meat and onion.
Add seasoning and refried beans.
Your sauce- sour cream and cream of mushroom soup. Easy peasy. Normally I'm not a cream-of-anything soup person, but every once in a while you just have to do it. And you won't be disappointed!
Layers! Spread your bean layer on top of the tortilla layer.
Sour cream layer on top of the cheese. See? Easy :)
I'm hungry and this looks great. This is definitely my kind of comfort food and is in our rotation for dinner ideas. And I usually have most (if not all) of the ingredients on hand for last minute ideas!

Creamy Burrito Casserole

1 lb ground beef 
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning (I just sprinkled some from my huge Costco container)
6 large flour tortillas
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
2 -3 cups shredded cheese
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
Brown ground beef and onion; drain. Add taco seasoning and stir in refried beans. Set aside.

Mix cream of mushroom soup and sour cream in a separate bowl. Spread half of the sour cream mixture on the borrom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Tear up three tortillas and spread over sour cream mixture (I cut mine in half). Put half of the meat/bean mixture over the tortillas and add a layer of cheese. Repeat the layers (sour cream mix, tortillas, meat mix and cheese). Bake for 20-30 minutes. Serve with sour cream.

Recipe from food.com

No comments:

Post a Comment