Sunday, January 15, 2012

Bacon-Wrapped Little Smokies

In my family we are huge "appetizer" people. For pretty much any family gathering (Christmas, New Year's Eve, Easter, family reunions, etc) we always have quite the spread of appetizers to eat. And they usually make up dinner - maybe it's because nobody wants to commit to ONE main dish. We'd rather have a variety of awesome foods to choose from! And this appetizer pleases everyone in the family: it's meat wrapped in meat (for the men), dainty on a toothpick (for us ladies) and for crying out loud it's a mini hot dog with bacon and sugar (for the kids)!

Now don't think you need a fancy occassion to make this dish. Use it for your next family game night, the Super Bowl, or a summer BBQ. Okay, sorry. I know summer is still far away, but I'm freezing right now and am wishing it was summer. And since this is my post, I can wish all I want!! Now I know most of you are watching your calorie intake with swim suit season right around the corner, but come on people! You have treat yourself every once in a while and seriously, these are worth it!
Cut your bacon into thirds. Get your husband or significant other or whoever you can con into wrapping a piece of bacon around each little smokie (it's just a task I don't really care to do!). Secure with a toothpick.
Place little smokies in a 9x13 pan. I covered mine with foil because it can get pretty messy and really I'm all about less dishes.
Our secret ingredient. Brush the tops of the smokies with maple syrup. I didn't measure this. I just poured about 1/3 cup or so of syrup in a bowl and brushed away to my heart's content. It's really about how much you want to taste the maple.
Sprinkle brown sugar on the tops.
Stare at your masterpiece. Yes, this is part of the recipe.
Bake at 325 for about 40 to 45 minutes. Try not to eat the whole pan.


Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies
submitted by Celeste, Girls in Aprons

1 14-oz package Lit'l Smokies
1 12-oz package bacon
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
Toothpicks

Preheat oven to 325.

Cut the bacon into thirds. Wrap one piece of bacon around each little smokie. Secure with a toothpick. Place the smokies on a foil lined 9x13 pan. Brush with maple syrup and sprinkle brown sugar on top. Bake at 325 for 40 to 45 minutes.


1 comment:

  1. Do you need to drain any bacon grease during baking? Is it better at 325 or 350 ?

    ReplyDelete