Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Homemade Eggrolls with Sweet and Sour Sauce

Am I the only one after Christmas that gets an uncontrollable urge to clean everything? It's almost like Spring Cleaning to me, but this mostly has to do with throwing away or donating old toys to make room for the new ones my kids got. I also home I'm not the only one who has already heard "I have nothing to do!" from their kids. Maybe they'll help me clean.... Wishful thinking.

Well, after Christmas is over, I start to look forward to New Years Eve. My family all gathers together (the ones that are here, at least) and we eat lots of yummy food, have a kid's New Years at 8pm then ship them off to bed, then we all stay up until midnight playing board games and eating more yummy food. When I was younger (aka "before kids") I could stay up easily until midnight. Now that is so far past my bedtime that I need games and food to keep me up that long!

Our family tradition on New Years is to make lots of appetizers and just snack all night long. We usually have a meat and cheese platter, veggie tray, spinach artichoke dip (that recipe is coming soon!), and lots more unhealthy but equally delicious things. This year, we are starting a new tradition... egg rolls!

Now, Adam and I have been making these for years. When we were in Cleveland and I was pregnant with my third baby, a woman in our ward (shout out to Lori Croshaw!) made these for us after I won them at a Relief Society service auction. My pregnant mind heard the word eggrolls and my hand just shot up. You can't deny a pregnant woman her cravings! And boy, am I glad. They are addicting and once you get the hang of it, super easy to put together. Maybe a little work, but not hard work.
They are crispy and yummy, and the sweet and sour sauce really is the icing on the cake!
Your lineup- all of these can be found in your regular grocery store! The eggroll wrappers are in the produce section too, and I've usually found them by the mushrooms or something similar.
Saute it all together. Your kitchen will smell amazing.
To wrap your eggrolls, have your wrapper facing this way, like a diamond.
Put your filling on horizontal to you, like so. Not too much, or your wrapper will break. Usually mine is a heaping 1/4 cup of filling. Some eggroll wrappers are small and some are bigger, so just use your best judgement.
Take the corner closest to you and fold it up, tucking it under the filling
Fold in your sides...
And roll the rest up until you have an eggroll!
Just dip your finger in some water and seal the final corner closed. Put on a cookie sheet until all your eggrolls are wrapped.
Ah, the best part. Frying :)
Dig in! My husband and brother-in-laws have been known to eat ten or more of these in one sitting! I usually end up doubling the eggroll recipe to feed them all!

Egg Rolls with Sweet and Sour Sauce
submitted by Carissa, adapted from my friend Lori

2 C. cooked chicken breast, seasoned and chopped small
1 bag shredded coleslaw
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks green onion, sliced
2 T. cooking oil
2 C. bean sprouts
2 T. soy sauce
½ tsp. fresh ginger minced or grated (not powdered!)
Egg roll wrappers (usually found in the produce or organic section)

Stir fry everything, except the chicken, together until tender. Add chicken and warm through.

Wrap in egg roll wrappers according to instructions on the package. Fry until golden brown on each side (the oil should be around 350 degrees- any hotter and they will get too "golden"). Drain on paper towels. Makes approximately 24 eggrolls.

Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 C. brown sugar
2 T. corn starch
2 T. soy sauce
2/3 C. chicken broth
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger root
2/3 C apple cider vinegar
2 clove garlic minced

Cook on medium high heat until it bubbles and then 2 more minutes. If you are doubling your egg rolls, double this too!

**Note: For fresh ginger, peel the skin with the back of a spoon or you can use a sharp knife to cut it off. To mince, just cut off the amount you need and mince. Or you can grate it with a microplane or the fine side of a cheese grater. It has a yummy lemony smell and makes this dish taste amazing! Ginger is super cheap (think like 25 cents!) so it's a great thing to learn to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment