Wednesday, November 9, 2011

White Chicken Chili- a 30 minute meal!

I love summer. I love that the kids aren't in school so we can sleep in and have lazy days. I love that we can just do what we want without the chaos of alarm clocks and school functions. I love that I can go out without towing everyone's huge jackets with me, and when it's dark out I still don't need to do that. I don't necessarily love the heat, but in the Pacific Northwest it's pretty mild and I'm completely okay with that.

One thing I don't love about summer- the taboo on soups and chilis. If I make anything of the sort during the warmer months, my family looks at me like I'm crazy. So during the summer we stick to barbecuing, hamburgers, salads, etc. So finally it got a little cooler here (more like freezing). We were having the sister missionaries over for dinner and it was T-minus one hour to dinner time. This chili is super simple and I literally threw it together with about half an hour to go. The cornbread I made took longer to bake than this took to cook!
Mmm... White Chicken Chili. It was so delicious and easy to make!
Your line-up. Most of this I had on hand too!
The finished product. Yeah, I didn't take any during photos... it is really a "dump in the pot" kind of meal but it is super yummy. My kids ate it up so fast! One note, you want to make sure you rinse your beans!

White Chicken Chili
by Carissa Poyfair 

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans Great Northern beans or cannellini beans, rinsed
2-3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
14 oz. can diced green chilies
32 oz. chicken broth, divided
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper, to taste

In a large pot, heat the oil on medium heat and saute the onion until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook one minute. Add the beans, chicken and chilies and stir until combined. Add 3 cups of chicken broth and let come to a boil. Add the corn, cayenne pepper, cumin and salt and pepper. Let it come to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer about 10 minutes. If it is too thick, add more chicken broth to your liking. Test your seasoning and adjust as necessary. Garnish with sour cream and freshly chopped cilantro, if desired.

**If you prefer your chili thicker, you can add less broth, or try this trick I learned. Smash some of the white beans against the side of the pot. This releases their starch and helps thicken the liquid a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment