Thursday, September 8, 2011

Ice Cream Sundae 4-Layer Chocolate Cake

My daughter turned seven a little over a month ago and I searched for the perfect cake for her. She's definitely a spawn of her mother when it comes to desserts (not so much in her awesome tanning abilities or her beautiful big brown eyes, though. Seriously, as soon as the sun starts to shine around May or so, she suddenly has this awesome tan while I remain the shade of Elmer's glue). Anyway, her ideal cake had to be chocolate and it had to be amazing. No problem, right?

So I found this amazing concoction on Picky Palate and knew it was a winner. The name has it all- ice cream sundae, chocolate, and four layers! Now, we all know I am a food blog stalker. I've stayed up many a night perusing through food blogs and just salivating. My bookmarks on my computer are ridiculously long and filled with things I need to try someday when I have the time. But Picky Palate was one of the first blogs that I found a while back when I lived in Cleveland (we were there for my husband's dental school). I was in a rut and couldn't find anything fun to make, until I stumbled on Picky Palate's site. Her food is always delicious and family friendly, my kids always love her recipes, and they are always easy. I've never been disappointed with her and now she has a cookbook coming out soon! Yay!

Anyway, I didn't take any "in the process" photos, mostly because I was super stressed out about my daughter's party that night. But you can click here to see Picky Palate's photos. Did I mention she's an amazing photographer too? I did get some of the finished product, and everyone loved the cake. It was rich and moist and went so well with some ice cream on the side! 


Ice Cream Sundae 4-Layer Chocolate Cake
from Picky Palate

1 box Devils Food Cake Mix
1 small box instant chocolate pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 Cup water
1/2 Cup canola or vegetable oil
1 heaping Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream (or whatever ice cream flavor you choose)
1/4 Cup Hot Fudge Sauce
Chocolate Frosting of Choice
Chocolate Bloc (for shavings)


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place cake mix, pudding, eggs, water oil, ice cream and hot fudge sauce into stand or electric mixer.  Beat on low then medium for about 1 minute 30 seconds or until well combined and thick.  Divide evenly into 4 (9 inch) cake pans that have been generously sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes mostly clean from center.  Let cool completely, loosen sides with a plastic knife then remove from pans.  Place bottom layer onto a cake stand, spread with your favorite chocolate frosting….repeat until 3 layers are frosted leaving 4th layer on top.  Frost remaining top and sides of cake with frosting.

2.  Take a vegetable peeler and peel chocolate bloc to get curls, about 2 cups worth.  Press curls onto sides of cake and serve room temperature or refrigerate to chill.
12 servings


Mmm... enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment