Friday, March 2, 2012

Taco Soup

This is one of my "go-to" meals - I always have the ingredients on hand, it's really filling, and perfect for these long, cold winter days that just won't go away! Seriously, nothing makes me happier than walking in the house from a freezing cold day than a nice hot bowl of yummy soup!

This recipe is from my mother-in-law, who taught me to make gravy (something I am eternally grateful for!) and to this day I can't make a roast like she can! The best part about this recipe is how easy it is. It's so easy that I didn't even bore you with pictures on how to make it. Really, it would've been an insult to your intelligence! You brown meat, dump cans, serve. Ta-dah! Like instant dinner! And feel free to have seconds (or thirds if you can fit it in your tummy) because it's a healthy dinner too! Lots of protein and veggies!  And have I mentioned it's yummy?

We usually serve it to my kids topped with sour cream, shredded cheese, and crushed tortilla chips. But my hubby and I really like it with sliced, fresh avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, and freshly chopped cilantro. (Remember the part where I said it was a healthy soup? That's pre-toppings!!) But top it any way you like! Add sliced jalapenos, green onions, guacamole, fresh tomatoes, or queso fresco. It's all about how you like your soup!

Taco Soup
by Girls in Aprons

1 lb. hamburger
1 packet taco seasoning
1/2 to 1 onion (depending on how much you like onion!), diced
1 14.5-oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 10.75 can tomato soup
1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can pinto beans
1 15 oz can kidney beans
2 cups frozen corn
Toppings (optional): sour cream, green onions, crushed tortillas chips, shredded cheese, avocado, guacamole, chopped tomatoes, chopped cilantro, hot sauce, jalapenos

Brown hamburger. When it's about half way cooked through, add chopped onion. Cook until browned and onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Drain any fat and add taco seasoning, tomatoes, tomato soup, and beans. Stir to combine and simmer about 10 minutes. Add corn and stir until corn is warmed through. Serve warm with desired toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment